Happy Easter everyone, whatever the day means to you (for me it just means a sweet four-day weekend). As a special treat I have TWO garments to post about today. My Easter Sunday treat was a migraine that sent me to bed at 7pm.
The top is made from this incredible silk cotton blend from The Fabric Store. I don’t know how well you can see but it’s covered in CHESTS and SUITCASES! Gah I seriously go crazy for fabric like this – nice quality garment fabric with subtle, yet odd, designs. From far away this may look like a normal “abstract” print but nope.
This Granville was the one I made directly before my floral one, and so it has the same fitting issues: too small across the bust, and too much fabric in the center front at the belly. It was also before I realised I should move some of the fullness from the side seams to the princess seams over the bum, so it flares out a bit when I wear it un-tucked.
This fabric also has no stretch in it so the tightness across the bust is more exaggerated – I shall fix this (hopefully) next time by letting it out at the under arm, and giving myself a bit more room at the top of the princess seams.
This blouse (like the other sleeveless one (not blogged yet) and my floral one) was made for The Monthly Stitch’s “inside out” challenge, so the insides are all finished prettily rather than overlocked: the yoke seam is (of course) enclosed, and the remaining seams are french seamed. The armholes are finished with narrow bias binding, and the hem is folded twice and top-stitched. I used silk organza again for the collar, collar stand and button placket.
The skirt is Colette Beignet. I made this for February’s TMS challenge, Miss Bossy Goes Solid. My colour was black, and would you believe I had to buy fabric for this? I have no black in my stash other than a bit of merino, and very little black clothes in my wardrobe – I don’t tend to wear it very much and I never buy it. But heck a black skirt is handy!
The pattern is, as I mentioned, Colette Beignet. I’ve wanted to try it out for a while now (probably ever since seeing Johanna’s first one in corduroy, and again seeing it in wool and cotton). I made it in a size 12 at the hips, grading out to 16 at the waist, and lengthened the whole thing by about 20cm (I think. I need to write these things down!!).
The shell and facing are from a brushed cotton twill from The Fabric Store, and the lining is a viscose twill from Fabric-a-Brac
The skirt does actually have pockets in it, but they were sticking out over my hips so I sewed them shut. One day maybe I’ll open them up. Other than that I think it fits me remarkably well, and I have had another one cut out for… a month. Just waiting until I buy some lining.
Fabric: Silk cotton, 1m at $24/m; and black cotton, 1.5m at $18/m = $27
Notions: Silk organza $3, thread, buttons ($2.80 and $14.40)
Total: Shirt $29.80, Skirt $41.40
I’m pretty stoked with the shirt: not only do I love the sleeveless shirt look (and it goes well under cardigans), but I can get it out of 1m of wide fabric – so I can splurge on fancier fabrics. In think I can get the sleeved one out of 1.5m. And the skirt definitely took 1.5m rather than the 2 1/2 yards called for, and that’s with the biggest size at the hips AND lengthening the skirt.